Because we can spot subtle problems with jaw growth or teeth while a child still has primary or “baby” teeth present, the American Association of Orthodontists recommends all children get a check-up with an orthodontic specialist no later than age seven.
Some problems are not so subtle, and you may notice them early on. If you see any of the following signs in your child, please make an appointment with our team at Kai Orthodontics immediately. (If your child is younger than seven, it is not necessary to wait till his or her seventh birthday to visit our office.) We want to identify any problems as early as possible so that we can implement the appropriate treatment at the appropriate time for your child’s individual needs.
1. Early or late loss of baby teeth
2. Difficulty in chewing or biting
3. Mouth breathing
4. Finger sucking or other oral habits
5. Crowding, misplaced, or blocked-out teeth
6. Speech difficulty
7. Jaws that shift or make sounds
8. Biting the cheek or biting into the roof of the mouth
9. Teeth that stick out too far
10. Teeth that meet in an abnormal way or don't meet at all
11. Upper and lower jaws that don’t line up
12. Grinding or clenching of teeth
If your child is displaying any of these signs, please contact us and set up an appointment!